Monday, June 2, 2014

T-Minus TWO Weeks and Counting....

 
Two weeks from today, I start my Groundlings improv workshop, which I'm pretty excited about. I have no idea what I'm walking into...seasoned actors, complete newbies (like me), or somewhere in between.  Will it be scene work, which I think I'd be okay with...or will it be improv games like in some beginning acting class, I have no idea. Either way, it will be an experience, and an experience I hope to chronicle in this blog.

A lot of people ask me, "What are you going to do out there?" My response: "I have no idea. Really. I don't know what to expect." That response, that honest response, seems to scare a few people, and it does open up my eyes a bit to the enormity of this opportunity. I'm giving up a lot to be out there...summer with my family. My family is giving up a lot for me to be out there. My wife is the true MVP, seven weeks with the kids and no sub.

I do not look at this summer as a vacation, or if I slip into that mindset at some point, it will be viewed as a working vacation. I am going to soak up anything-and-everything that I can. I foresee sitting in a lot of waiting rooms for a few hours, reading a few lines...then they think I stink, and I go to the next one. And, you know what, I'm okay with that. I want to experience the honest struggles that the beginning actor goes through, and in doing so, I hope to capture that experience in this blog.

I still have a ton of stuff to do...not only am I trying to soak up any-and-all family time that I can (ball games, practices, etc.), I still have to get things lined up for the move out there.  What do I pack? How many socks, shirts, etc.?  When do I pack? I'll probably pack the day before the flight, but I'll have things figured out by then, and then just drop the stuff in a suitcase.  I don't know if I'll have easy access to a washer/dryer, if I do, I guess I can take fewer things out there.  Who am I kidding, I won't do laundry very often even if I had the option.  This will not be a glamorous excursion to the coast. I imagine sleeping on floors, not eating very well (fast food!), etc. Very much the poor, struggling, beginning actor that I want to be for this experience. No comforts for me, I predict. And I'm okay with that.

Oh, and it's final exam week here at school. So, tons of grading that still needs to happen in a short amount of time. Busy, busy, busy...


No comments:

Post a Comment