Sunday, June 29, 2014

Get away from my torch, Jeff Probst!

On Friday, I went to an open casting call for Survivor. It was conducted by a local CBS affiliate in San Dimas...about thirty minutes away from Los Angeles, or at least the part of Los Angeles that I'm residing in at the moment. Those that know me well know that I have spent over a decade auditioning for Survivor. I got my passport in April '01 for my first audition video when I lived in Beech Grove (SE Indianapolis). I remember my wife recording the video as I crawled around a ditch/water run-off pretending to be on the show.  Over the decade-plus of audition video submissions, I've tried sketches, jokes...I've had students help shoot my video and give me ideas. I've tried everything. My last submission this past May, I cloned myself in the video. The more Bobs the merrier, right?


So, what does an open audition entail? Well, ironically, or maybe not ironically, it's pretty much identical to the cattle calls that I discussed earlier with my Fast and the Furious 7 (and Star Wars 7) call. There was a line, and you stand in it to await your turn. Once your time comes, you get 60 seconds to sell yourself to a video camera. Why would you be the best survivor? What's interesting about you, etc.?

 

I've learned from my past auditions, and expected there to be hundreds, or more likely thousands, of people hanging around. I wanted to be the first one so that I didn't have the literal door shut in my face...like at FF7. So, I arrived early, and being the Scrooge with money that I am, I spent the previous evening on Google maps looking at satellite images of the location. I wanted to find free parking. The auditions were at a water park, and they charged $15. I later heard that they discounted it to $5, and some people paid $10, while others paid nothing. So, there was a lot of grumbling in the line about it.  I don't like to pay for parking...ever. So, I found an apartment complex a little under half mile away. I found a spot, and risking being towed, I parked and walked.

Funny story, I had trouble sleeping the night before, and I contemplated driving there and squatting to be first in line.  I didn't want a repeat of earlier casting calls. So, imagine my surprise when I found the line to be 50-60 people long, and I was there an hour early. I would've looked foolish if I had camped out, or been there 4-5 hours early. I was so close to just doing it. Better safe than sorry.

So, after about a 45 minute wait, it was my turn. We were processed (like Ellis Island, but less degrading) and given a number and told where to stand and what to say. My turn came, and I spoke to the camera for my sixty seconds. When finished, the camera guy had a sincere smile (trust me, I can spot phony) and said "nice job," and while I was going into my spiel for the camera, I could see the people waiting behind me all smiling and giggling. So, overall, I think my personality was shown, and I hope they like what they see. 

The CBS affiliate will send the tapes (or email the video probably) to the Survivor casting directors, and if they want us...they get in touch with us.  How cool would it be to be on the show? The only other obsession/dream that rivals Survivor is (obviously) Star Wars. Survivor is second.

 
Today, I went to my first Dodgers game. They were playing the St. Louis Cardinals. Both teams are always very good, and the pitcher for the Dodgers, Clayton Kershaw, is the best pitcher of this generation. It was an honor to watch him pitch. He threw a no-hitter last week. They won today 6-0, and he was awesome. He had 13 strikeouts (which is awesome!) in 7 innings, and only gave up 5 hits. It was a perfect afternoon...minus the sun blistering my arms. Next time, I'll go to a night game. But, man, it was beautiful! Oh, and I got TWO Dodger dogs...and a large drink...$17! I saw a sign for beer, domestic beer, for $13 a can. I couldn't believe it. I took in a one-liter of water (factory sealed per the rules) that I got for $1 at Dollar Tree. I should've just gotten one Dodger Dog for $5.50. They've got to pay the largest payroll team in baseball (it's not the Yankees any longer, folks) in some way.

 
 
 
Oh, I almost forgot. I had another audition yesterday. Based on my online submission of my headshot/resume/reel, I got an email inviting me to a video audition/submission. It's for a national commercial (or so they say) for The General Insurance. I've never heard of them, so maybe "national" doesn't include Indiana. So, I had directions to follow, and I set up a camera and recorded a few takes. I picked the best one, edited it down nice and neat, and then uploaded it. Pretty simple.  It costs a small fortune to get any sort of help out here...shooting reels, getting headshots taken and/or printed, etc. I'm glad I can do most of my computer stuff myself. I'll update the blog if/when I heard anything about it. I'm not holding my breath, but they must've liked my initial submission, and I think I did well with the video submission. Ultimately, I don't know what they want, what look, etc. So, I just did the best I could with what I was given, and hopefully that is enough to get me on set, and then take their direction in whatever direction they desire. That... I can do.

Tomorrow, I have my first film shoot...the one I blogged about last week. I have to drive 90 minutes to reach the set north of Los Angeles, and I'll blog about it in the coming days (probably Wednesday is my guess). 

Oh, and I found Bill and Ted's high school. Wyld Stallyns!!!


 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment