Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Boom! Booked it!

Well, the phone rang late last night, and I got the role. I couldn't believe it based on the write-up of the character, but they must've enjoyed what I did. The producer on the phone said that they really enjoyed my time with them, and they "want to spend more time with me on set."  Also, he did compliment me on my firm handshake too, so that's a positive. I really felt like I had a great aura about me when I went in, it was a fun interview/audition, so I knew that they had a good time...or else "they" were the good actors and had me fooled. I wasn't nervous at all, which I found a little strange. Typically, I do not get nervous in the least when I do a theater show. I look at it this way, if I was able to perform in The Full Monty a few years back, I have nothing else to nervous about on stage, or in front of a camera.



So, I was confident and relaxed when I went in, and I guess that showed. I'll have to remember that formula for future auditions...hopefully, there are more to come.

It turns out they want me in their short film, Donut Planet. When I find out what it's truly about, I will surely pass it along. I have no clue. Maybe there will be an IMDB link for it, or something. I'll keep you posted.  The only thing I know is that I will be shooting up near Edwards Air Force Base, which is north of LA. Isn't that were Will Smith takes his family in Independence Day to escape LA? Then Bill Pullman has his big "this is our Independence Day" speech. It's just a little further than Lancaster, which is where I intimately became acquainted with the sidewalk last Saturday for the FF7 casting call.

I'm sure the character will evolve throughout the shoot on Monday. I was joking on Facebook earlier that I'm shooting for something between Don Draper and The Yellow King. That would be a nice mix I think, someone that can be analyzed and dissected be the viewers. It definitely would make the character multidimensional and interesting, and not flat and forgettable.  We'll see what happens. Roll with the punches and be flexible...something I'm pretty good at doing, in my opinion.

Other tidbits and random thoughts:
1. I finally found Diet Mountain Dew. It was at a Chevron. I had checked several different gas stations and restaurants, nothing. I'll have to check another Chevron later to see if it was just a fluke. I told the guy at the register that it was the first Diet Dew that I found, and he looked at me like I was weird. He didn't say anything. Maybe he didn't understand me, or he thought I was just weird.  Probably the latter. It wasn't mixed (syrup to carbonation ratio) right, so it tasted weird, but at least it's out here. It does exist. Like Bigfoot.

2. I decided to sign up for Second City workshops out here too. The same improv troupe that is out of Chicago. They have a LA-based troupe too.  I have the time, so why not? So, I'll have completed The Groundlings and Second City introductory improv sessions by the end of my time here. That's being productive, I think.

3. I've got tickets lined up in the upcoming weeks for The Price is Right, Conan, Jimmy Kimmel, and I'm going to the Dodgers/Cardinals game on Sunday (Clayton Kershaw is pitching, and he just threw a no-hitter last week, he's the best lefty of this generation).  I'll need some help coming up with ideas for t-shirts for The Price is Right. We've got a few weeks, but send them my way if you've got any good ones.

4. Yesterday on the Walk of Fame, I found the star for legendary film actor/writer W.C. Fields...it was directly in front of a strip club. I wonder what he would've thought about that fact.



1 comment:

  1. That's awesome, congrats! I admire you for going after your dreams, what an inspiring story you'll have to share with your kids as they get older!

    ReplyDelete